close

Four Cape youths facing charges in wake of car thefts, accidental gun discharge that left one boy injured

By CJ HADDAD 3 min read
article image -

Additional charges have been filed in an investigation dating back to mid-February that involved a pair of stolen cars and the accidental discharge of a gun that injured a 13-year-old boy.

The incident occurred on Feb. 13, when police received a call from an individual who said his friend had accidentally shot himself at 3030 Skyline Blvd.

When CCPD officers arrived, they found the 13-year-old in the front passenger’s seat of a silver Nissan Rogue with a gunshot wound to his back. Police said the other occupants of the car fled before they arrived.

The boy was transported to a hospital for treatment and has since been released.

CCPD’s Violent Crimes Unit investigation found that the person who called police, whom they say is a 12-year-old boy, accidentally shot his friend. The 12-year-old was subsequently arrested on several charges.

While investigating the shooting, police received a call from a vehicle owner who reported their Mitsubishi Outlander had been stolen, and that it contained two guns.

Police say they determined that the gunshot victim, who is now 14, stole the Outlander and went to pick up the 12-year-old juvenile.

“The two can be seen on video at a local 7-Eleven filling the car up with gas before driving it and getting it stuck in the sand,” a CCPD release states. “The vehicle was left abandoned and later recovered by officers.

“Violent Crimes Detectives discovered videos on a cell phone showing (the two juveniles) inside the Mitsubishi, handling the stolen firearms and committing reckless acts with them. The videos also captured the pair driving a stolen Nissan Rogue before picking up other juveniles.”

Police allege the pair picked up two other juvenile males, ages 15 and 14. CCPD’s investigation found that the 15-year-old was the driver of a knowingly stolen car when the individual was shot, officials said.

“Inside the stolen vehicle, there were two firearms belonging to the other victim,” CCPD’s release states. “(The 15 and 14-year-old) knew the guns and vehicle were stolen and had assisted in depriving the victim of their property. (The 15-year-old) has an active Risk Protection Order and is not to be in possession of firearms.”

The boy who was accidentally injured has been arrested and charged with armed burglary of a conveyance (1st degree felony), grand theft of a motor vehicle (3rd degree felony), two counts of grand theft of a firearm (3rd degree felony), minor in possession of a firearm (1st degree misdemeanor), and improper exhibition of a firearm (1st degree misdemeanor).

The 15-year-old, in custody at the Department of Juvenile Justice, has been charged with two counts of grand theft of a motor vehicle (3rd degree felony), and grand theft of a firearm (3rd degree felony).

The 14-year-old was arrested and charged with grand theft of a motor vehicle (3rd degree felony), and grand theft of a firearm (3rd degree felony).

In addition to previous charges (seven charges ranging from 1st to 3rd degree felonies), the 12-year-old, in the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice, has been charged with armed burglary of a conveyance (2nd degree felony), and grand theft of a motor vehicle (3rd degree felony).

The investigation in still ongoing.